As the global steel industry leader since 2009, ArcelorMittal is the largest steel producer in the world. The ArcelorMittal SS branch operates out of 25 sites in six countries in Europe and employs more than 1,700 people. Their mission: to produce tailor-made steel solutions for their customers in the automotive and manufacturing sectors. To meet the challenges of the steel industry, the maintenance teams have been equipped with the CARL Source Factory CMMS since 2012, in order to standardize the maintenance processes across all their European sites.
In 2012, ArcelorMittal SSC began looking for a CMMS tool to manage its 25 European sites. The group wanted to modernize, centralize and uniformly log all of its maintenance data for all of its teams. CARL Source Factory was the chosen solution.
- Multilingual, multi-site, multi-currency capabilities,
- Easy configuration,
- Simple interfacing with SAP,
- High-quality mobile app: CARL Touch.
« A shared CMMS for the centralization of data and optimization of multi-site management »
ArcelorMittal SSC: a project on a European scale
Benefits of CARL Source Factory CMMS software at ArcelorMittal SSC.
Deployment of the CARL Source Factory CMMS
Deployment of the CARL Source CMMS at ArcelorMittal SSC is carried out in two stages. The first stage focuses on the general operation of the software and its rules of use. The second stage is specific to the maintenance teams: “Our requirements were clear: a multilingual CMMS and an interface with SAP, because we already wanted to deploy the tool on our European sites and harmonize the methods,” said Anthony Meurin, Automation and CMMS Manager. CARL Berger-Levrault consultants provided training on each of the sites, in the mother tongue of each team, to maximize understanding of how the solution works.
The maintenance processes common to each site were defined. “From the notification of preventive or curative service calls, to the generation of reports, to the logging of time spent on each service call, each team follows the same processes, which has enabled us to harmonize our practices and our methods and to improve the overall management of group maintenance,” added Anthony Meurin.
As part of a continuous improvement process, the group wanted to optimize:
- The logging of maintenance activities, the responsiveness of service calls, and the quality of reports, by providing its
technicians with the CARL Touch mobile app.
- Its inventory management, by interfacing CARL Source with the SAP ERP. “I developed the interface with SAP in conjunction with our IS. We didn’t need the assistance of CARL Berger-Levrault thanks to the interface connector provided by CARL Source,” said Anthony Meurin.
- Its regulatory maintenance, thanks to the Control-S module, which allows you to import reports from inspection bodies and monitor the lifting of reservations directly in CARL Source.
“The two strengths of CARL Source are its connectivity with SAP and the Control-S module. Our goal is to eventually roll it out to all of our sites.”
Anthony Meurin, Automation and CMMS Manager
CMMS: a decision-making tool for ArcelorMittal SSC maintenance
Operated daily by 250 users across 25 European sites, CARL Source Factory is a decision-making tool for ArcelorMittal SSC maintenance operations. “CARL Source allows us to know where we stand in our maintenance activity and get a real-time view of our equipment fleets across all of our sites and processes,” added Anthony Meurin.
Thanks to the inventory management monitored by CARL Source and SAP, the technicians can access all available parts from within the CMMS, and pool their expertise thanks to the logging of technical information on those parts: “The major benefit that CARL brings us is the logging of data for all of the sites,” said Anthony Meurin.
Their use of CARL Source brought many benefits as a result:
- Reduction of monthly reporting times (2 hr/month) thanks to the software’s connectivity with Power BI.
- Optimization of maintenance management thanks to a customized, efficient dashboard.
- Optimized the effectiveness of troubleshooting and prepared for yearly audits with the Control-S module for regulatory maintenance.
- Improved quality of reports from field technicians thanks to the CARL Touch mobile app.
The ArcelorMittal SSC group intends to continue its deployment of the solution across its other sites and to use BL Predict, an IoT platform dedicated to maintenance, to deploy its predictive maintenance.
Our maintenance management solution for the industrial sector: CARL Source Factory
CARL Source Factory is our solution of CMMS dedicated to the industry sector. It has been designed to guarantee you the best operating conditions for industrial equipment, associated structures and the safety of your personnel. It allows you to manage your maintenance activities in real time, new works and regulatory diagnostics, monitor your service providers and manage your contracts while reconciling quality and budgetary control. Designed in partnership with major industry players, this solution allows you to addressing the challenges of Industry 4.0.